Webinar Title: The Road to Digitalization Leads through Cyber Security
Webinar Organizers: Scott Nadler, Global Communications & Marketing at Siemens.
- Leo SimonovichVice President and Global Head, Industrial Cyber and Digital Security,Siemens
- E lgonda la Grange is Director for Digital Solutions in Dresser Rand, a Siemens company,
- Morten Ileby is today heading maintenance and support for Automation and Telecom systems on the Ivar Aasen platform.
Webinar Date: The second of the Siemens Webinar Series, ‘The Road to Digitalization Leads through Cyber Security’, taken place on Tuesday, June 19, 2018.
Source: Oil & Gas iQ Company (2018)
The webinar addressed several key issues facing the oil and gas industry such as:
- How can we work together to meet the challenge of securing operational environments?
- What is holding us back from a secure, digital future?
- What strategies should leading edge oil and gas companies employ to mitigate enterprise risk?
Digitalization and cyber security are two sides of the same coin. The age of digitalization, or Industrie 4.0, is ushering greater operational intelligence, more efficient production, and safer work environments. Realizing that promise means coming to terms with OT cyber security because the enablers of digitalization – connectivity, remote access, and more – are also enablers for increasingly frequent and sophisticated cyber attacks.
With aging assets, poor security practices, and nearly a decade of bad guys learning how industrial control systems work, leaders in the oil and gas industry are aware more than ever they have far to travel. Now is that time for our operations and security leadership to think and act more strategically so we can secure our digitalization future.
Source: Adapted from the webinar presentation.
Digitalization and cyber security are two sides of same coin.
The presentations highlights several points. Energy industry faces a growing operational cyber threat
- Rising number of cyber threats to industrial control system:67% believe the risk level to industrial control systems over the past years has markedly increased because of cyber threats.
- Increased complexity of risk management across value chain:61% say their organization has difficulty in mitigating cyber risks across the oil and gas value chain.
- Risk migrating form IT(Infrastructure Team) to OT(Operation Team) environment:59% people believe that there is now a greater level of cyber risk in the OT than in the IT environment.
It talk about how customers are trapped in a cycle of inability to address fundamentals while building advanced monitoring capabilities. The organization needs to focus on data from asset integrity, Business performance and Operational performance.
When we understand the process and security in contextualized way four points needs to consider.
- Knowledge of what and where to measure.
- Implementation of specific requirements.
- Security analysis of data from assets.
- Value creation of data-driven security investments.
Scott Nadler (2018) “The Road to Digitalization Leads through Cyber Security”, Retrieved 22, June 2018 from https://www.oilandgasiq.com/oil-and-gas-production-and-operations/webinars/the-road-to-digitalization-leads-through-cyber-security